NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course – Instructor Lead Training (ILT). This course fulfills the requirement for applying for a pistol license in Florida, Arizona, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maine, and Massachusetts. You would also need to complete this course before becoming an instructor who can teach this course.
You can register for this course on the BASIC PAGE by filling out the form at the bottom of the page. This course is only $130. To pay for this course please visit the PAYMENT PAGE.
Read what our students have to say about this course:
"PS&Ed staff were more than helpful in assisting me while I was applying for an upgrade to a pistol permit with no restrictions. Matt is extremely knowledgeable on gun safety, laws, and the 2nd Amendment. After a long 2 years of trying to obtain my carry permit, I received my full carry permit and I could not have done it without the confidence, expertise, and care of Matt and his team. He really cares about your interests and will not give up until your goal is achieved, or if all ideas are outsourced. What started 2 years ago for me as an interest in target shooting has become a desire to live a lifestyle in carrying responsibly, and to become a supporter in promoting change to some of New York's difficult laws on purchasing, acquiring, inheriting, owing, and possessing firearms. My advice to all for acquiring an unrestricted pistol permit is to enroll in the Handgun Safety and NRA Basic Pistol courses. Keep taking classes with Matt, you will learn so much about guns, safety, and federal and state laws. You will also learn how to properly react in threatening situations; if you ever have to draw a weapon. Be patient with your judge, and instructor do not give up if you are denied the privilege of having an unrestricted pistol permit. It is an honored achievement when you can obtain an unrestricted pistol permit on your own with the courteous help of an instructor, rather than applying though cronyism." ~ Brandon B. from Clay, NY about our "Proper Cause" Letter Writing Service and many courses
I received my full carry permit…
A pistol, or handgun, is a firearm designed to be fired while being held in one hand. While such firearms are small and compact, they can be the hardest to learn. With this course the students will receive the NRA’s The Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook and intensive lessons in safety, gun handling, the various types of pistols, the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship, various pistol firing positions, several practical exercises on the firing range, cleaning, storage, and a summary of pistol sports and activities.
The Basic Pistol course is eight-hours long.
“To teach the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and using a pistol safely.”
- NY Pistol License
- Reliable handgun (9mm recommended)
- Quality on body, strong side, concealable holster – NONE OF THESE TYPE HOLSTERS: Serpa, ankle, bra, purse, cross draw, pocket, or shoulder. (PS&Ed makes holsters, inquire prior) * Suggested
- Two to three magazines * Suggested
- Magazine pouch or pockets to store mags
- 50-100 rounds of target ammunition (PS&Ed sells ammo, inquire prior)
- Hearing protection
- Eye protection
- Cleaning kit for your gun – research how to disassemble your handgun now so you know how to do it the day of the class.
- Pen and paper for taking notes
- Snacks and/or a lunch, we will not have time to take a lunch break during the eight-hours. Otherwise, PS&Ed has water, soda, and granola bars for sale.
- Base ball cap/hat with brim * Suggested
- Weather and range appropriate clothing
- Pistol Knowledge and Safe Gun Handling
- Ammunition Knowledge and Fundamentals of Pistol Shooting
- Firing the First Shots (includes cleaning and storage)
- Two-handed and One-handed Standing Shooting Positions
- Pistol Sports and Activities
- You must have a NY Pistol License and own a pistol to use in the course. You may be able to rent a pistol from us, contact us for more info.
Students will receive feedback on the live-fire exercise and a course certificate upon successful completion.