Why would I want to carry a TASER? Some people chose not to carry a firearm. A EW and/or Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) a.k.a. Pepper Spray (we offer OC training as well) are great alternatives. Not to mention, not all situations call for a firearm but may call for less-lethal force to stop a threat against you. It makes sense to use OC at 18′ or TASER at 15′ vs. getting into a hands-on close-quarters-battle with someone. It is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
An EW, a.k.a. TASER, is a non-lethal means of self-protection. An EW can be owned and carried by law-abiding citizens over, 18 years of age (New York is 21), consistent with their local laws and restrictions. A TASER’s ability to immediately incapacitate by short-circuiting the attacker’s central nervous system makes it in many cases a more reliable and defensible use of force. The TASER Pulse+ provides civilians with the same technology used by law enforcement nationwide but with a longer exposure time (30 seconds vs five (5) seconds). This is a less lethal option for civilians to temporarily incapacitate an assailant without the legal ramifications of using deadly force.
This course is taught by Matt Mallory, the first TASER Civilian Instructor in New York State. In this course Matt will cover: Use of Force Guidelines, TASER Function, Nomenclature & Operation, Proper use of a TASER, Levels of awareness, Live fire exercise, and much more! Knowing how to correctly and efficiently use a TASER can also indemnify you in court. Signup for the course below.
You can purchase a TASER Pulse+ device here, though not required for this course. Pepper spray may be available for purchase at our courses as well.
Prerequisite: Must be 21 or older
Exposure: You will NOT be exposed/shocked/lit-up in this class
Length of Course: 3 hours
What to Bring: Notebook & Pen
Dress Attire: Comfortable clothing with a thick and secure belt
Instructor: Matthew Mallory (The first TASER Civilian Instructor in New York State)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Am I allowed to have a TASER in my state?
A: In New York Penal Code 265.01 (1), the law regarding the possession of electronic dart guns and electronic stun guns, was struck down in court in March of 2019. The current directive to law enforcement in NY is not to enforce the law. We have confirmed this with multiple District Attorney offices in the state. We also received confirmation that the State Police were given a directive not to enforce the law due to the judge’s ruling. This does not mean all law enforcement in the state will know this or that you may not run into issues. This is why we suggest, to our students, to keep a copy of the ruling on them. Due to the SCOTUS ruling in March of 2016 NY politicians can see that the NY law on TASERS and stun guns will also be deemed unconstitutional, by SCOTUS, and that is why they are not appealing the decision and instead have put forth Senate Bill S4849. This bill, when it becomes law, will fully allow possession of these devices. Matt went to Albany in June and met with Senator Hoylman’s office to talk about the bill and has been in touch with them since on its progress. Being that, in May of 2019, the governor signed law removing criminal sanctions associated with possessing gravity knives, there is no reason why he would not sign Senate Bill S4849 into law. Each state has their own restrictions and laws. Here is a list of TASER laws state by state.
Q: Can I have a TASER on me, outside of my home, for self-defense and if so does it need to be concealed?
A: As noted above, there is no enforceable law regarding the possession of electronic dart guns and electronic stun guns, in the state of New York. That said, you can legally open carry a TASER in public, in NY. HOWEVER, due to this being a new win in the courts we suggest that you keep it concealed. Not to mention, as with handguns, we suggest concealment for the element of surprise as well as not being targeted. Each state has their own restrictions and laws. Here is a list of TASER laws state by state.
Q: In this course, do I need to “feel it” so I know the effects myself?
A: No! Unlike in the Law Enforcement training, where we highly suggest that the recruits/students “ride the lightning”, in this course, civilians are strictly forbidden from being exposed during the class. Though you wont get shocked in the course, you will walk away with a shocking amount of knowledge from the teachings.
Q: Does the Pulse+ work like the Law Enforcement X2 or X26 versions of the TASER?
A: Yes the Pulse+ shoots two probes out, expels AFIDs, and you can drive stun after the probes are deployed, just like the law enforcement versions.
You are not required to own a TASER for this course but if you are interested in purchasing one you can do so here.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- Weapons: Due to this course inducing stress and causing you to cognitively think, for safety reasons, we do not allow any types of weapons on the students. Please make sure to secure your firearms, pepper spray, TASER/EW, knives, and other defensive tools prior to signing into the class.
- Payment: This course is only $105. After signing up for the course above, you should be asked to make a payment. If you are not or if you close out of the payment screen you can visit our PAYMENT PAGE to review the payment terms and make a payment for this course.
- Refunds: You are paying for a service/seat in the course. We do not offer refunds. Make sure you are able to follow through on the commitment to provide us the documents needed for the proper cause service or make the course date that you signup for.
- Registration: We do not accept walk-ins. You will need to register above and make payment to secure a seat in the course.
- Citizenship & Convictions: You must be a LEGAL United States Citizen and at least 18 years old in order to attend this course. If you have questions, contact us.
- At Your Location: For your convenience, we offer the above courses at your location for only $10 more per student. We do require a guaranteed minimum of eight students for a private NY four hour course. Contact us to book a course at your location or chose “TBD At Your Location” from the form drop down from the desired course above and we will be in touch to set a date.
- Contact us with any questions.