Note: Due to a NY court ruling in March of 2019, Axon, the manufacturer of TASER, is now allowing the sale of their Conducted Energy Weapons (CEWs) to New York residents. Read more about the ruling here: https://tinyurl.com/y4mmv7f4
Why would I want to carry a TASER? Some people chose not to carry a firearm. A CEW and/or Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) a.k.a. Pepper Spray (we offer OC training as well) are great alternatives. Not to mention, not all situations call for a firearm but may call for less-lethal force to stop a threat against you. It makes sense to use OC at 18′ or TASER at 15′ vs. getting into a hands-on close-quarters-battle with someone. It is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
A CEW, a.k.a. TASER, is a non-lethal means of self-protection. A TASER can be owned and carried by law-abiding citizens over, 18 years of age, consistent with their local laws and restrictions. A TASER‘s ability to immediately incapacitate by short-circuiting the attacker’s central nervous system makes it in many cases a more reliable and defensible use of force. The TASER Pulse+ provides civilians with the same technology used by law enforcement nationwide but with a longer exposure time (30 seconds vs 5 seconds). This is a less lethal option for civilians to temporarily incapacitate an assailant without the legal ramifications of using deadly force.
This course will cover: Use of Force Guidelines, TASER Function, Nomenclature & Operation, Proper use of a TASER, Levels of awareness, Live fire exercise, and much more! Knowing how to correctly and efficiently use a TASER can also indemnify you in court. Signup for the course below and purchase your TASER products here, though not required for this course.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Am I allowed to have a TASER in my state?
A: In New York penal code 265.20, the law regarding the possession of electronic dart guns and electronic stun guns, was struck down in March of 2019. The current directive to law enforcement in NY is not to enforce the law. We have confirmed this with multiple District Attorney offices. We also received confirmation that the State Police were given a directive not to enforce the law due to the ruling. This does not mean all law enforcement in the state will know this or that you may not run into issues. This is why we suggest, to our students, to keep a copy of the ruling on them. The Senate Bill S4849 is in the works to make it written law to allow possession of these devices. Each state has their own restrictions and laws. Here is a list of TASER laws state by state.
Q: Can I have a TASER on me, outside of my home, for self-defense and if so does it need to be concealed?
A: As noted above, there is no enforceable law regarding the possession of electronic dart guns and electronic stun guns in the state of New York. That said, you can legally open carry a TASER in public, in NY. HOWEVER, due to this being a new win in the courts we suggest that you keep it concealed. Not to mention, as with handguns, we suggest concealment for the element of surprise as well as not being targeted. Each state has their own restrictions and laws. Here is a list of TASER laws state by state.
Q: In this course, do I need to “feel it” so I know the effects myself?
A: No! Unlike in the Law Enforcement training, where we highly suggest that the recruits/students “ride the lightning”, in this course, civilians are strictly forbidden from being exposed during the class. Though you wont get shocked in the course, you will walk away with a shocking amount of knowledge from the teachings.
Q: Does the Pulse+ work like the Law Enforcement X2 or X26 versions of the TASER?
A: Yes the Pulse+ shoots two probes out, expels AFIDs, and you can drive stun after the probes are deployed, just like the law enforcement versions.
Pricing: $125 or $130 with credit card
Prerequisite: Must be 21 or older
Exposure: You will NOT be shocked/lit-up in this class
Length of Course: 3 hours
What to Bring: Notebook & Pen
Dress Attire: Comfortable clothing with a thick and secure belt
Instructor: Matthew Mallory (The first TASER Civilian Instructor in New York State)
You are not required to own a TASER for this course but if you are interested in purchasing one you can do so here: https://store.psanded.com/catalog.php?search_for=taser
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- Weapons: Due to this course inducing stress and causing you to cognitively think, for safety reasons, we do not allow any types of weapons on the students. Please make sure to secure your firearms, pepper spray, TASER/CEW, knives, and other defensive tools prior to signing into the class.
- Payment: This course is only $125. After signing up for the course above, please visit our PAYMENT PAGE to review the payment terms and make a payment for this course.
- Registration: We do not accept walk-ins. You will need to register above and make payment to secure a seat in the course.
- Citizenship & Convictions: You must be a LEGAL United States Citizen and at least 18 years old in order to attend this course. If you have questions, contact us.
- At Your Location: For your convenience, we offer the above courses at your location for only $10 more per student. We do require a guaranteed minimum of eight students for a private NY four hour course. Contact us to book a course at your location or chose “TBD At Your Location” from the form drop down from the desired course above and we will be in touch to set a date.
- Contact us with any questions.