Are you looking to obtain a New York State Pistol License for personal protection, hunting, and/or to have fun at the range or in your back yard with a pistol? If so, you have come to the right place. This course is for NY residents and non-residents who are looking to apply for a permit to own and be in legal possession of a handgun in NY State. As well, this is a great refresher course for those who want a refresher or those who did not need to take the course when they received their license many years ago.
Arm yourself with knowledge and experience to include: pistol license requirements and legal responsibilities, use of force, handgun safety, ammunition, storage, childproofing, operation, care, cleaning, maintenance and shooting fundamentals/skills such as breath control, trigger squeeze, positions, errors, and clearing stoppages.
Classroom Time: 4 hours
Range Time: None
Prerequisites: 21 years old or honorably discharged veteran 18-20
Investment: $50 (Register below then make payment)
Instructor: Matthew Mallory
Note: All course dates and locations are listed below in the signup form.
Learn from experienced military veterans, law enforcement, NRA, USCCA, New York, and Utah certified instructors. Our handgun safety courses are currently accepted and fulfill the course requirement for obtaining a pistol license (CCW) aka: pistol permit in the NY counties listed in GREEN on the below map.
Counties covered in the four-hour course: Albany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Erie, Genesee, Greene, Herkimer, Jefferson, Madison, Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Orleans, Oswego, Rensselaer, Steuben, Sullivan, Ulster, Westchester
Other Counties – Contact us about your County below!
- Broome: To remove restrictions – NY Handgun Course (this course), Article 35, and Private Shooting Qualification (by appointment)
- Chautauqua: Custom course from county – by appointment only
- Cortland: USCCA Defensive Shooting Fundamentals (DSF) Level 1 or the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course
- Lewis: NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course
- Putnam: NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course
- Rensselaer: NY Handgun Course (this course) to obtain initial license and Private Shooting Qualification to remove restrictions (by appointment)
- Seneca: We are on the list of suggested instructors. (No course required)
- Steuben: NY Handgun Course (this course), and a practical demonstration which can be completed at the end of the regular course.
Read what our students have to say about this course:
"PS&Ed staff were more than helpful in assisting me while I was applying for an upgrade to a pistol permit with no restrictions. Matt is extremely knowledgeable on gun safety, laws, and the 2nd Amendment. After a long 2 years of trying to obtain my carry permit, I received my full carry permit and I could not have done it without the confidence, expertise, and care of Matt and his team. He really cares about your interests and will not give up until your goal is achieved, or if all ideas are outsourced. What started 2 years ago for me as an interest in target shooting has become a desire to live a lifestyle in carrying responsibly, and to become a supporter in promoting change to some of New York's difficult laws on purchasing, acquiring, inheriting, owing, and possessing firearms. My advice to all for acquiring an unrestricted pistol permit is to enroll in the Handgun Safety and NRA Basic Pistol courses. Keep taking classes with Matt, you will learn so much about guns, safety, and federal and state laws. You will also learn how to properly react in threatening situations; if you ever have to draw a weapon. Be patient with your judge, and instructor do not give up if you are denied the privilege of having an unrestricted pistol permit. It is an honored achievement when you can obtain an unrestricted pistol permit on your own with the courteous help of an instructor, rather than applying though cronyism." ~ Brandon B. from Clay, NY about our "Proper Cause" Letter Writing Service and many courses
I received my full carry permit…
"Very good class, instructor was very professional, knowledgeable and kept thing interesting." ~ Russell from North Syracuse, NY about our NY Handgun Safety Course
Very good class
“Really enjoyed the course. It wasn't boring or dry like you would expect for a "mandatory" class. I have already recommended to a few people and have signed up for the next class and have a friend committed to take it with me!” ~ Nick from Onondaga, NY about our NY Handgun Safety Course
It wasn’t boring or dry like you would expect…
"After taking your gun safety class I submitted my application for an unrestricted pistol permit. It was issued in March 2015 with no restrictions. My primary state of residence is Nevada where I have possessed a concealed firearm permit for the last 15 – 20 years. My second residence being New York where I have added 3 pistols to my permit. Keep up the good work, I have recommended you to many of my friends." ~ Rick from Manlius, NY about our NY Handgun Safety Course
Keep up the good work,
"Very good safety course for all levels of handgun experience." ~ Bill from East Syracuse, NY about our NY Handgun Safety Course
Very good safety course for all levels of handgun experience.
"I met Matt @ the Syr. gun expo & on that very busy day he gave me his undivided attention on several topics. His seminars are real world, factual, & to the point. I am looking forward to the multi state course when I am eligible, & what a great idea is the try it before you buy it workshop. I plan on being @ both ASAP." ~ Neal from Dewitt, NY about our NY Handgun Safety Course
…seminars are real world, factual, & to the point.
"Everything was awesome and extremely informational. Best investment I could have made! The knowledge was top notch and every question asked there was always an intelligent answer that was said. Would and have recommended to anyone wanting to get their pistol permit or just gain knowledge about the subject. Will definitely be taking more classes." ~ Andrew from Oswego, NY about our NY Handgun Safety Course, Article 35 Course, SIMCO-2 Course, and Proper Cause Letter Service
Best investment I could have made!
"Matt's class was both educational and fun. When I signed up, my initial thought was that I dreaded sitting through a 4-hour class! However, once I was there, I felt involved and fully vested in the class. My dad, who served in the US Navy during WWII & taught me respect for all firearms as a young man, would have endorsed this class as well. Thank you & I am looking forward to additional classes in the future." ~ Steven from Liverpool, NY about our NY Handgun Safety Course
I felt involved and fully vested in the class.
"The class was great and contained lots of valuable information. I really loved your presence in the classroom and your passion for the subject matter. I am speaking to my girlfriend now about having her take the same course. For me personally I plan to do the multi-state and "try it before you buy it" course myself. I look forward to seeing you in the future!" ~ Andrew from Baldwinsville, NY about our NY Handgun Safety Course
The class was great…
"Very good 4 hour class…..informative power point presentation and educational videos pertaining on "what / what not" to do involving handling of long & short guns in regards to gun safety. Very good assortment of hand gun safety demos and various exhibits of gun accessories and ballistic items. Enjoyed course……instructor very knowledgeable and interactive with class participants. Would definitely recommend to others." ~ John from Utica, NY about our NY Handgun Safety Course
Very good 4 hour class…
"With 42 years of military/defense contractor experience, I have been on both sides of the lectern and can state categorically your presentation of a large body of information to a eclectic group was superb! You were in complete control, presenting information in a manner conducive to retention and eagerly engaged with the participants in a light comfortable manner. I not only recommend your course to all others, but fully intend to seek out some of your other offerings e.g., your "Try Them All" program. Well done, thank you!" ~ LTC Alan B. USA Ret. from Cazenovia, NY about our NY Handgun Safety Course
I not only recommend your course…
"My son and I found the NYS Pistol Permit Course to be very informative. The instructor, Matt, was very knowledgeable. He kept the class engaged with stories and examples. My son and I look forward to taking other classes with PS&Ed." ~ Brenda from Cato, NY about our NY Handgun Safety Course
He kept the class engaged with stories and examples.
CLICK SUBMIT REGISTRATION ABOVE BEFORE MAKING PAYMENT!
- Payment: This course is only $50. After filling out the form above and clicking the “Submit Registration” button above the form will take you to a page to make payment with PayPal/credit card. If you accidentally closed out of the payment page you can make payment from our PAYMENT PAGE. If you want to mail a check/money order you can close out of the payment page, after clicking “Submit Registration” above and visit our PAYMENT PAGE for directions on where to mail a check/money order and who to make it out to. You can also review our payment terms on that page.
- Registration: We do not accept walk-ins. You will need to register above and make payment to secure a seat in the course.
- Citizenship & Convictions: You must be a LEGAL United States Citizen in order to attend this course. Past convictions might not bar you from obtaining your pistol license. If you have questions, contact us.
- At Your Location: For your convenience, we offer the above courses at your location for only $10 more per student. We do require a guaranteed minimum of eight students for a private NY four hour course. Contact us to book a course at your location or chose “TBD At Your Location” from the form drop down from the desired course above and we will be in touch to set a date.
- The successful completion of any PS&Ed handgun training does not guarantee the issuance of a carry license in New York State. The issuance of a carry license remains at the discretion of the licensing officer of the county or state that you are applying in.
- Students are responsible for confirming said course is accepted in the county that they are applying in.
- Firearms & Ammunition: This is NOT a live-fire course!
- Contact us with any questions.